Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Very Awesome Christmas Gift

For Christmas this year my awesome little sister gave me an awesome gift. She made me a "Bird Family Cookbook." It has recipes from my sisters, my parents, and, even more special to me, it has recipes from both of my grandmothers.

Grandma Bird, known to us as "Pittsburgh Grandma," passed away in 1989. I was only six years old and I have often wished that I had more time with her and that I had known her better. Almost 20 years after she passed, I still have dreams about her and, as cliche as it sounds, I often wonder if she ever looks down on me and if she would be proud of me.


Grandma O'Bryant, or "Tennessee Grandma," passed away this past summer. I suppose it doesn't matter how old you are when some one passes, you will always wish you had more time. Tennessee Grandma was a fun-loving, creative, hilarious, and beautiful woman. I love that I have some of her recipes which I enjoyed every time my family went to visit her in Knoxville.


Anyway, my sweet little sister made a cookbook of family recipes, including recipes she found in Pittsburgh Grandma's recipe ledger and recipes passed on from Tennessee Grandma. My sister even made several of the recipes and took pictures of them.
Is that not the most awesome gift ever?
Thanks 'Rah!



6 comments:

Sarah D Mize said...

yeah, I'm cool like that.

Maya said...

that's an awesome gift! :-)

Kathleen said...

yeah, I still need to see that book. Remind me to have you bring it over sometime, maybe Saturday if that works out.

Brooke said...

What a great, unique idea for a gift! Love the subtitle "a guide for feeding birds."

The Davies Family said...

That is so cool!

Unknown said...

does it include what to do with leftover egg? (mix it in to the mashed potatoes!) That's a Bun Bun trick!